63 Little Pieces - Now on Windows & OUYA (Early Access)

63 Little Pieces is an atmospheric block sliding puzzle game with a shooting mechanic, to destroy walls, in order to build a path to lead one or several blocks to the goal. Slide, fire, destroy blocks, collect collectibles, hit switches and manage the other blocks movements.
Will you be able to piece it back together?

The final game will consist of 60 or so levels. Each level contains 3 distinct puzzle challenges:
Collect the collectible; reach the goal in as less moves and less destruction as possible.

Originally created in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 41 in 2018, as a mix between Puzzle and Shoot’em Up mechanics. Things moved nicely but, gameplay wise, there was little to no puzzle action at all. It was only after the jam I put real thought into the project and have been working on it ever since.

With real thought put into the puzzles, I started tinkering around with what I had and started to making conclusions on how the game should proceed from that point. I didn’t want to have an one and done puzzle solving mechanic nor a 3 star rating system. With that said, each puzzle is now build upon 3 distinctive objectives: Collect the collectible, reach the goal with as less moves as possible and reach the goal with as less destruction as possible. Some levels can even be finished without achieving any of those objectives.

From Ludum Dare 41 to Now (Early Access):

• From the 13 unpolished presented levels there are now 18 puzzles with 3 challenges each, awaiting your cunning eye.
  • Graphics were upgraded (still work in progress) from the still included pixelated black & white sprites (so if you’re into that 1 bit sort of retro visual thing - it’s still there) to a coloured 2.5 or 2D top down view.
  • Although repetitive, the silent background is now filled with one music track.
  • Narrative is still in “draft mode”; it is fully implemented but not presented to the player yet.
  • The project now includes XBOX 360 controller support.
  • Many bugs and half baked mechanics fixed (since it was a prototype).

Right now my main focus is on building the levels.

Early Access applies to Windows and OUYA.

Stay inside, stay safe, and have fun!
Happy Children’s Day!

2 Likes

I bought it, now I’ll wait until the OUYA early access version is being made available

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Will be making it available as soon as possible.
I ran into an issue I want to solve first or understand better what’s happening.

1 Like

Not sure if this will help but as soon as it starts I get
Fatal error in
Action number 1
Of async event: system event
For object obj_gamepad_support:

Push::execution error- variable index 0,4
Out of range 1,4
-.gamepad_host(1000027,4)
At
Gml_object_obj_gamepad_support_other_75

That’s as far it will let me see.
I’m using a 16gb black ouya with a white controller. I forget what the models are called. Don’t know if any of this will help.

Thanks!

The controller works fine with my OUYA and OUYA controller, no bugs whatsoever.
This seems to be caused by the XBOX controller support, but that bug keeps popping up from many users, it’s trying to address Xinput controllers … Going to try to make a few changes to this. See if I can make something more generally reliable.

1 Like

I updated the game on Itch.io.
I tried to address the controller issue in this new version.
If you run it, let me know how it goes.
Thanks

Hi Guys and Gals!

Version 0.40 is out! So what's new you ask!?!

The biggest update is levels... This new build adds 9 more levels with 3 challenges each, making for a total of 27 new puzzles. 

These new levels focus on opposite forces, with red blocks doing whatever is the contrary to your movement. There are also portals, which teleport you from one point to another, some times reaching a portal can be a challenge in itself. 

Sound Effects lost their references and where replaced by Windows dings during this screen capture :)

Another note worthy update is the addition of an Options Menu which allows control over Music and Sfx Volume, Screen Shake toggle, Language supporting: English and Portuguese (PT), and Erasing Data. The additions of these controls required quite a few changes in the code and its structure mostly because this section supports many features so it was better re-structure to easily handle any translations and music / sound volumes by, instead of all over the place, having everything in 1 or 2 objects.

Other Updates Include:

• Added Lighting Effects;
  • Graphical update and implementation of high resolution placeholders: switches, "gravity" arrows, platforms, goals, portals and effects;
  • The main game's font Pixel ^2 has also been updated and is also available for purchase, here on itch.io, this font will replace most of the games text but for now this change is only visible on the moves and block counter dialog during gameplay;
  • Added Mouse Controls on Main Menu and in-game to allow switching through art styles / perspective;
  • OUYA Controller central button now mapped as start / pause button;
  • Text dialogs no longer repeating themselves when retrying a level;
  • Although not visible, this update also implements a few gameplay mechanics for levels to come. 
    • You'll just have to take my word for it   :)

Bugs Fixed:

• Blocks excess speed;
  • Getting trap between "gravity" arrows, now resets level (Level 16);
  • Controller Bug fixes on Windows and OUYA;
  • Negative level numbers on the level selection menu; 

Stay safe and have fun!

2 Likes

Wow man, a ton of work. Congrats!

1 Like

I wanted to have more but then I decided it was time to recap before going in for another loop :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

Last week, I received this great news.

Presented by Ricardo Correia, the coordinator of PlayStation Talents in Portugal, 63 Little Pieces was revealed to be on the top 10 independent games running to win the title of National Game of the year. The announcement is at 36:15, revealing 63 Little Pieces to be of a very original puzzle game.

It comes at no surprise that I’m very happy to have my hard work recognized.
63 Little Pieces is an atmospheric block sliding puzzle game with a shooting mechanic, to destroy walls, in order to build a path to lead one or several blocks to the goal. It may sound as an ordinary puzzle game but there are a few tricks under the hood left to be revealed.

Stay safe, have fun!

1 Like

That’s amazing mate! Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Happy news to hear. Glad for you man. This is one of my favorite “new” OUYA games. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

1 Like

New version, new devlog, finally available again for OUYA:

1 Like

Hi guys and gals from OUYA World!

After the Playstation Talents Prémios VII and features on Indie X, Lisbon Games Week Loading Zone and MoshBit Gaming Awards. I have kept going and now 63 Little Pieces is on GDWC 2021 Weekly Vote.

While I’m only expecting to have the next update ready sometime by the end of August or in, actually, September. I’m currently taking a moment to promote it and finishing up on smaller projects I have in hands (Dodge Spree X and some other stuff).

Meanwhile here’s my invitation:

Please to take a look and leave a vote!

Your support means a lot to me.
Thanks very much!

2 Likes

Hello OUYA World!

63 Little Pieces has come in 2nd place on round 21 and is now featured on GDWC last week’s Top 3.

Thank you so much for your supporting. This would definitely not be possible without you.

Now, back to work! These tricky upcoming puzzle won’t be making themselves alone.

Stay safe and have fun!

Twitter | Instagram | IndieDB

1 Like