Genre Specific Game jams

What do you guys think of hosting specific genre gamejams? The idea being at the end of each game jam we have a more concentrated stream of new games. So for example maybe a 2d platformer jam and a rouguelike jam then a couch multiplayer game jam or a turn based strategy game jam.

Hosted a little more frequently, we could build up a catalog of new games across many genres. Imagine if every 3rd month we had a smaller genre game jam. Even with a small amount of entries, in a year this would be a sizable amount of games. This also has a benefit of being able to give more specific and consistent judging. Since each entry has similar gameplay, categories would be easier to implement.

1 Like

I like the idea, generally. @nachoz12341
We’ll have to wait and see what kind of interest this garners from the developing crowd.

I like the idea, but why not focus on genres that are under-represented on the OUYA?
IMHO the OUYA library needs some - really! - good racing games in the style of Lotus Turbo Challenge / Out Run and SF2-like fighting games. Good horizontal/vertical Arcade-style shmups are rare, too.

On the other hand, I think OUYA doesn’t need some more platformers.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

I like this concept as well.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, I like the idea of looking at which genres need games. 2d platformer was a convenient example we definitely don’t need more lol. It would be interesting to come up with a list of how many games in each genre we have so we can go from there.

2 Likes

I like your angle @Retroluzzer, genre specific Game Jam for what the OUYA is lacking.

1 Like