Godot Engine 2.1.6 - Setup for OUYA

godot-for-ouya

godot-for-ouya aims to provide the best experience for making new OUYA games.

Engine Setup

Setup Overview for Windows 11

Link to Godot for Ouya - Windows 11 Overview

Install OpenJDK 17

Download and install OpenJDK 17.

Compiling for OUYA requires Java 8, but the latest Android command line tools requires a later version of Java.

Download the Android SDK

Download the latest command line tools for the Android SDK, found near the bottom of this page.

Extract the contents to wherever/Android/sdk/cmdline-tools/latest

In terminal, navigate to wherever/Android/sdk/cmdline-tools/latest/bin and install the necessary packages.

./sdkmanager "platforms;android-23" "platform-tools" "build-tools;26.0.1" "ndk;17.2.4988734" "sources;android-23"

Accept the licenses.

./sdkmanager --licenses

Install OpenJDK 8

Download and install OpenJDK 8.

Create a debug.keystore

Android needs a debug keystore file to install to devices and distribute non-release APKs. If you have used the SDK before and have built projects, ant or eclipse probably generated one for you (In Linux and OSX, you can find it in the ~/.android folder).

If you can’t find it or need to generate one, the keytool command from the JDK can be used for this purpose:

keytool -keyalg RSA -genkeypair -alias androiddebugkey -keypass android -keystore debug.keystore -storepass android -dname "CN=Android Debug,O=Android,C=US" -validity 9999

Download the Engine and OUYA Android Templates

Download the compiled engine and templates zips from github.

Extract the zip files.

Download the Stable Export Templates

Download the 2.1.6-stable_export_templates.tpz.

Godot Export Configuration

Open Godot for OUYA. In Editor Settings, set these 3 file paths:

• Android SDK’s adb.

• OpenJDK 8’s jarsigner.

• Your debug keystore.

Import the stable export templates.

Project Export Settings

Set the Android export custom debug/release packages to the extracted APKs from my fork.

Set a unique package name with syntax: com.companyname.productname

Set the OUYA icon. The OUYA icon should be a 732x412 PNG imported into the project assets.

Community

For more information on the OUYA and the OUYA community, visit https://ouya.world/ and the OUYA Saviors Discord server OUYA Saviors.

What’s next?

It’s my intention to use this repository to build the best engine available for OUYA. I plan to build my own fork from the official Godot source code and gradually backport quality of life features from Godot 3 to godot-for-ouya.

2 Likes