How to bypass account login/firmware update page

Hello!
Can anybody help me please?
I am struggling two days now to bypass the “Choose a Network” page on my Ouya (I bought it hard resetted) with no luck at all…

I followed this guide:

Modify /system/etc/hosts on the OUYA

This method will surely work, but takes the most steps. You need to have the “Android Debug Bridge” (adb) command line tool installed on your PC. Have a look at Cyanogen Mod CM11 and the Ouya, it has installation instructions for adb on windows.

1. On your PC, run adb shell
  2. Type su to become the root user
  3. Make the system partition writable:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP
  4. Open the hosts file:
    vi /system/etc/hosts
  5. Press the “down arrow” key until your are at the end
  6. Press i to get into “insert mode”
  7. paste/write that line:
    83.169.45.222 devs.ouya.tv status.ouya.tv
  8. Press return to add a final newline
  9. Press escape
  10. Type :wq (commmand, write, quit)
  11. Press return to exit the vi editor

The connectivity check should work now without rebooting.

with one difference… It wouldn’t accept the vi command, so as a workaround, I tried adb pull /system/etc/hosts C:\hosts to see what was in the hosts file (only the localhost 127.0.0.1 were there), then I removed it and created a new one executing:
echo “127.0.0.1 localhost” >> hosts
echo “83.169.45.222 devs.ouya.tv status.ouya.tv” >> hosts

After this I checked it with PULL again and it seems to be fine, as it should.

Unfortunately nothing changed on my Ouya. I tried rebooting it, adding the hosts to my DNS Settings on the router but nothing changed, I am still stuch on the choose a network screen.

Any ideas?
Thank you very much in advance!

Hi i have the same Problem… any ideal?

I really need help!
I set the Ouya up and configured it using the fantastic guide on here on Monday evening- everything worked I couldn’t believe what you guys have been able to achieve!
So 24 hours later I settle down to download the rest of my old catalogue of games ,only to find the store server could now not be reached.
So I waited an hour and retried only to find now I had been locked out at the network setup screen.
So I have been messing about for the past 24h with various host settings to no avail.
Can I flush out all of my host settings and start afresh ?
I have factory reset but all the various addresses are still in my host folder-or perhaps there is another fix you can suggest.
Just so bazaar that the lost the working server within a day .

Thanks in advance!

You’re absolutely right! Had an error on my end, nothing should be needed for you to get it working again now that I’ve fixed it. Working for you now too?

1 Like

@ant-mi @Cosimo_Vita, either of you figure it out? Maybe server was down a few days ago and I just fixed it. Can you try again right now? Does it work?

If not, can you ping me in the chat megaphone or come to the Discord server? Much easier to troubleshoot from a realtime communication method.

Working 100% You guys are great!
-so happy to have found this site of yours

1 Like

Glad to hear it! Our Discord is more lively than here if you like to chat with other enthusiasts. Though, many of us are over here pretty often too.

1 Like

Someone has uploaded a helpful little tutorial on Youtube for anyone having problems

2 Likes

Excellent tutorial. Thank you!

1 Like

I know I’m a little late to the game, but is this not a thing any more?

Nah man, this is a serious thing! Just picked up another OUYA last week. What makes you think its not a thing anymore?

1 Like

Hey! Sorry, I was misreading the dates in the forum. I was able to bypass the login screen with the instructions on the site. Can you point me to the article that says how to load your homemade games? Thank you!

1 Like

I develop games in Godot - so sad I just missed the game jam!!! :frowning:

1 Like

GameJam games are already on the store. See the 2019 and 2020 game jam sections.

And we’re having a game jam in December so be sure to check that out closer to the time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you looking for an article on sideloading? Or publishing for others to download and play?

You don’t have to wait for the next game jam to make a game and publish it for OUYA!

1 Like

You don’t have to wait for the next game jam to make a game and publish it for OUYA!

Very true @Szeraax.

@extra_syrup Are you already on our Discord server? The OUYA Saviors Project?

My brothers and I, “ProHiScore Studios” are also using Godot to develop for OUYA.

Definitely interested in it all. I can just start browsing the forums, but just thought I’d ask to save time. :slight_smile: I’m a gamer and a developer so I want to know it all. LOL

Thank you! That’s awesome - I will look you up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m getting an “operation no permitted” error while trying to mount the directory to access and edit the hosts file. I can read it but whitout the propper permissions it’s useless. Any light? :frowning:

Note: Brunno had to sideload (Flash) the latest firmware on to his unit and then was able to access it fine.

1 Like